HOW TO WRITE PARTY INVITATIONS
The invitation to your party is the first glimpse into your celebration for your guests. For this reason, your invitations should match the occasion in both style and theme. Your invitation is meant to let your guests know about your event but also, they are to give your invitees a small glimpse into what is to come at your party.
You will want to send out your invitations at least four weeks before a smaller party and precisely eight weeks before a more significant event such as a wedding. You will also likely want to make sure that your party or event is not held over a holiday weekend where many of your friends and family may already have other plans or will not want to deal with holiday travel.
The wording on your invitation should be done in a very standard way. This means that it should include the following:
* All phrasing should always be in the third person style
* Punctuation is never used at the ends of lines on an invitation, only on names and addresses which require them
* Try not to use any abbreviations on your invitations. Spell out names, addresses, etc... fully. The one exception to this is the use of Mr And Mrs Both of these abbreviations are appropriate for an invitation.
* Days, dates, and times should all be spelt out completely.
* If you have a husband and wife who you will be inviting who happen to both be doctors, you can simply address your invitation to 'The Doctors 'Last Name', and it will be correct
* It is always socially unacceptable to write 'no children' or refer to gifts, or even no gifts, on any invitations.
Each invitation should have the following information contained on it:
* The name of the host or hosts
* The purpose of the event
* The name of the guest of honour
* The day, date and time of the event
* The location of the event
* The address of the event with the street address only, never the zip code, as this is tacky
Once you have your invitations completed, then it is time to get a friend to read over them for you and let you know if you have any mistakes in your text. This is very important because the last thing you want to do is send out all of your invitations with the wrong date or time on them. It is easier to catch and fix mistakes before the invitations are sent out.
You might find it surprising to know that you can have your invitations printed at a very reasonable cost online in this day and age. In addition, if you have a good graphics program and printer, you can do them yourself. If you will be having a smaller event, it is perfectly acceptable to purchase a package of the hand-written invitations from your local store and write in their information.
If you have a very informal party, you can have some fun and casual invitations. If you are planning a much more formal party or event such as a wedding, then you are best to stick to professionally printed invitations.
FAQ - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long before a party should you send out invitations?
It depends on the party. Invitations should be sent out about two weeks in advance for a small, intimate party like a kid's birthday. For a larger party, like weddings, invitations should be sent out about four to six weeks in advance.
What is the best free online invitation maker?
There are a few online invitation makers that are free to use. Some of them include Punchbowl, Paperless Post, and Evite. Each of these websites has its features and designs. So before deciding on which one to use, take a look at their websites and see which one has the design options that best fit your needs.
How to plan a kid's birthday party?
- First, decide on a theme. This will help you choose appropriate decorations, activities, and even food. Browse all Kids Party Ideas for more inspiration.
- Second, make a guest list and send out invitations. Be sure to give yourself enough time to do this so that everyone can RSVP.
- Third, start planning the details! This includes everything from deciding on a menu to booking entertainment.
- Fourth, put together party favours and goodie bags for the guests. Again, try to tie these in with the chosen theme.
- And finally, don't forget to HAVE FUN!
Browse all EVENT IDEAS by category and start planning your next party today. Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to get notified about all the new and trending party themes and ideas.
DISCLOSURE: We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won't cost you anything, but it helps us offset the costs of paying our writing team. Thanks for your support!