How to Host 'Make Your Own' Party?
Hosts and hostesses sometimes worry about what food to serve at their child's party or wonder if they can handle all the work of a theme party. It's hard to find food that everyone likes, and making party decorations and favours can be tiring.
Why not make a food or crafts theme for a "make your own" party? Guests can make food, and everyone can make food according to taste. They can make masks, jewellery, or other crafts. There are ideas for almost all ages.
Make Your Own Pizza
This one has all kinds of possibilities, from sweet to savoury. You can use pita bread, homemade or store-bought mini pizza dough or crusts, bagels, or English muffins for individual pizza crusts. Some toppings you can put out might include some of the following:
- Peanut butter
- Chocolate chips
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded cheese
- Cream cheese
These pizza ideas can be mixed and matched, some eaten cold and some baked. Just be sure an adult does the baking for a kids' party!
Make Your Own Shish kabob
Like pizzas, shish kabobs have all kinds of possibilities. Set out some of the following foods along with skewers. You can cook meats ahead of time and heat the kabobs under the broiler or in the microwave if you like.
- Cheese cubes
- Chunks of cooked chicken, beef, and ham
- Bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chunked fruit such as pineapple, bananas, cherries, melon, apple, kiwi, etc.
Make Your Own Cupcake or Cookie
Cupcakes and cookies can be decorated or made by the guests. For cupcakes, it might be better for guests to do the decorating. Cookies might be fun if guests cut them out with cookie cutters, bake them, and decorate them. However, you do it, here are some ideas for decorating those cupcakes and cookies.
- Frosting in various colours (use a separate butter knife for each colour, or put the frosting in plastic zip-top bags, snip a tiny bit off of one of the bag's corners, and squeeze the frosting out the hole)
- Sugar paste (This can be rolled, shaped, and cut into all kinds of decorative shapes, even flowers)
Make Your Own Stuffed Animal
There are several ways you can do this kind of "make your own" party. You can:
- Go to a store where guests can choose their own "unstuffed" animal, and then store workers stuff each child's animal.
- If you're handy with fabric, you can sew unstuffed animal "skins" ahead of time, leaving a small opening for guests to use polyester or cotton fill to stuff their creations. Then stitch the small opening closed.
- Use white socks, fabric glue, and fabric markers or paint to let kids create their sock creature. Guests can decorate the socks before stuffing, and the socks can be tied shut once stuffed.
Some other quick ideas which you can use as a springboard include:
a) Make Your Own Candle
b) Make Your Own Chocolate Bar
c) Make Your Own Sundae
d) Make Your Own Mask
e) Make Your Own Jewellery
FAQ - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How can I make my birthday fun?
One easy way to make your birthday party fun is to plan a themed party. For example, you could have a '70s party or a masquerade ball. Another way to add excitement to your birthday party is by having contests and games. You can have a limbo contest, cake-eating, or even a treasure hunt. And finally, don't forget the food and drinks! Be sure to serve up some of your favourite snacks and beverages, and you're sure to have a great time.
What are good ideas for a birthday?
A good birthday party should be full of fun, laughter, and love. Surrounding you with your closest friends and family is the best way to celebrate another year. Make sure to include plenty of cake, games, and presents! Choosing a theme will be the most crucial decision, so make sure you browse our trending Adult Birthday Ideas or Kids Party Ideas.
How do I plan my birthday on a small budget?
There are a few ways to plan your birthday on a small budget. One way is to have a smaller guest list, and another way is to do DIY decorations and save on the cost of professional decorating services. You can also cut costs by serving simple refreshments like cake and punch instead of an elaborate meal. Finally, consider having your party at a time other than peak party times like weekends or evenings, to get lower rates from venues. You can still have a great birthday party without breaking the bank by following these tips!
Browse all EVENT IDEAS by category and start planning your next party today. Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to get notified about all the new and trending party themes and ideas.
DISCLOSURE: We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won't cost you anything, but it helps us offset the costs of paying our writing team. Thanks for your support!